Jason P. Brown
Jason Brown is a senior economist and regional executive in the Regional Affairs Department of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. He conducts research on issues related to regional economic growth, emerging industries, and structural change in regional industry and labor markets.
Prior to joining the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Jason was an economist at the USDA Economic Research Service in Washington, D.C. He holds a Ph.D. from Purdue University.
Kansas and Tenth District Economic Outlook (05/24/2016)
Kansas & Tenth District Economic Outlook (01/13/2016)
Rural Wealth Creation and Emerging Energy Industries (03/19/2015)
U.S. & District Economic Outlook (02/5/2015)
Kansas Economic Outlook (01/22/2015)
Professional Journals and Books
- Brown, J.P., Fitzgerald, T., and Weber, J.G. 2016. "Capturing Rents from Natural Resource Abundance: Private Royalties from U.S. Onshore Oil & Gas Production." Resource and Energy Economics, 46: 23-38.
- Low, S.A. and Brown, J.P. 2016. "Manufacturing Plant Survival in a Period of Decline." Growth and Change, in press.
- Brown, J.P. and Lambert, D.M. 2016. “Extending a Smooth Parameter Model to Firm Location Analyses: The Case of Natural Gas Establishments in the United States.” Journal of Regional Science, 56(5): 848-867.
- Weber, J.G., Wall, C., Brown, J.P., and Hertz, T. 2015. “Crop Prices, Agricultural Revenues, and the Local Economy of the U.S. Heartland.” Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 37(3): 459-476.
- Hoen, B., Brown, J.P., Jackson, T., Thayer, M.A., Wiser, R. and Cappers, P. 2015. “Spatial Hedonic Analysis of the Effects of US Wind Energy Facilities on Surrounding Property Values.” Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics 51(1): 22-51.
- Wojan, T., Brown, J.P. and Lambert, D.M. 2015. “What to Do About the "Cult of Statistical Significance?" A Renewable Fuel Application using the Neyman-Pearson Protocol.” Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 36(4): 674-695.
- Weber, J.G., Brown, J.P. and Pender, J.L. 2014. "Rural Wealth Creation and Emerging Energy Industries. In: Rural Wealth Creation," Pender, J.L., Weber, B.A., Johnson, T.G. and Fannin, J.M. (eds.) Routledge, pg. 167-184.
- Brown, J.P., Goetz, S.J., Ahearn, M.C., and Liang. C. 2014. "Linkages between Community-Focused Agriculture, Farm Sales, and Regional Growth." Economic Development Quarterly 28(1): 5-16.
- Pender, J.L., Weber, J.G., and Brown, J.P. 2014. "Sustainable Rural Development and Wealth Creation: Five Observations Based on Emerging Energy Opportunities." Economic Development Quarterly 28(1): 73-86.
- Brown, J.P., Lambert, D.M., and Florax, R.J.G.M. 2013. "The Birth, Death, and Persistence of Firms: Creative Destruction and the Spatial Distribution of U.S. Manufacturing Establishments, 2000-2006." Economic Geography 89(3): 203-226.
- Brown, J.P., Pender, J. Wiser, R., Lantz, E., and Hoen, B. 2012. "Ex Post Analysis of Economic Impacts from Wind Power Development in U.S. Counties." Energy Economics, 34(6): 1743-1754.
- Lambert, D.L., Brown, J.P., and Florax, R.J.G.M. 2010. "A two-step estimator for a spatial lag model of counts: Theory, small sample performance and an application." Regional Science and Urban Economics, 40(4): 241-252.
- Brown, J.P., Florax, R.J.G.M., and McNamara, K.T. 2009. "Determinants of Investment Flows in U.S. Manufacturing." The Review of Regional Studies, 39(3): 267-284.
- Lusk, J.L., Brown, J.P., Mark, T., Proseku, I., Thompson, R., and Welsh, J. 2006. "Consumer Behavior, Public Policy, and Country-of-Origin Labeling." Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 28(2): 284-292.
Economic Review Articles
- Identifying State-Level Recessions
First Quarter 2017
- The Response of Employment to Changes in Oil and Gas Exploration and Drilling
Second Quarter 2015
- Production of Natural Gas From Shale in Local Economies: A Resource Blessing or Curse?
First Quarter 2014
Research Working Papers
- Asset Ownership, Windfalls, and Income: Evidence from Oil and Gas Royalties
with Timothy Fitzgerald and Jeremy G. Weber, RWP 16-12
- Capturing Rents from Natural Resource Abundance: Private Royalties from U.S. Onshore Oil & Gas Production
with Timothy Fitzgerald and Jeremy G. Weber, RWP 15-04
- Location Decisions of Natural Gas Extraction Establishments: A Smooth Transition Count Model Approach
with Dayton M. Lambert, RWP 14-05
- Rural Wealth Creation and Emerging Energy Industries: Lease and Royalty Payments to Farm Households and Businesses
with Jeremy G. Weber and John Pender, RWP 13-07
The Macro Bulletin
- The Reallocation of Energy-Sector Workers after Oil Price Booms and Busts
with Andres Kodaka
The Main Street Economist
- U.S. Electricity Prices in the Wake of Growing Natural Gas Production
with Andres Kodaka, Issue 2, 2014
- The Cycles of Wind Power Development
Issue 3, 2013
- Brown, J.P., Weber, J.G., and Wojan, T. 2013. "Emerging Energy Industries and Rural Growth." ERR-159, USDA Economic Research Service, Washington DC. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err-economic-research-report/err159.aspx
- Brown, J.P. and Weber, J.G. 2013. "The Off-Farm Occupations of U.S. Farm Operators and Their Spouses." EIB-117, USDA Economic Research Service, Washington DC. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/eib-economic-information-bulletin/eib117.aspx