Jason P. Brown
Jason Brown is a Research and Policy Officer in the Economic Research Department of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. In this role, he coordinates the regional and commodities research of the Bank and serves as liaison to regional and commodities researchers located in branch offices and in Kansas City. He conducts research on issues related to regional economic growth, emerging industries, natural resource development, and structural change in regional industry and labor markets.
Prior to joining the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Jason was an economist at the USDA Economic Research Service in Washington, D.C. He holds a Ph.D. from Purdue University.
Professional Journals and Books
- Brown, J.P., Fitzgerald, T. and Weber, J.G. 2019. “Does Resource Ownership Matter? Oil and Gas Royalties and the Income Effect of Extraction.” Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, 6(6): 853-878.
- Brown, J.P., Lambert, D.M. and Wojan, T. 2019. “The Effect of the Conservation Reserve Program on Rural Economies: Deriving a Statistical Verdict from a Null Finding.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 101(2): 528-540.
- Low, S.A. and Brown, J.P. 2017. "Manufacturing Plant Survival in a Period of Decline." Growth and Change, 48(3): 297-312.
- Brown, J.P., Fitzgerald, T., and Weber, J.G. 2016. "Capturing Rents from Natural Resource Abundance: Private Royalties from U.S. Onshore Oil & Gas Production." Resource and Energy Economics, 46: 23-38.
- Brown, J.P. and Lambert, D.M. 2016. “Extending a Smooth Parameter Model to Firm Location Analyses: The Case of Natural Gas Establishments in the United States.” Journal of Regional Science, 56(5): 848-867.
- Weber, J.G., Wall, C., Brown, J.P., and Hertz, T. 2015. “Crop Prices, Agricultural Revenues, and the Local Economy of the U.S. Heartland.” Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 37(3): 459-476.
- Hoen, B., Brown, J.P., Jackson, T., Thayer, M.A., Wiser, R. and Cappers, P. 2015. “Spatial Hedonic Analysis of the Effects of US Wind Energy Facilities on Surrounding Property Values.” Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics 51(1): 22-51.
- Wojan, T., Brown, J.P. and Lambert, D.M. 2015. “What to Do About the "Cult of Statistical Significance?" A Renewable Fuel Application using the Neyman-Pearson Protocol.” Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 36(4): 674-695.
- Weber, J.G., Brown, J.P. and Pender, J.L. 2014. "Rural Wealth Creation and Emerging Energy Industries. In: Rural Wealth Creation," Pender, J.L., Weber, B.A., Johnson, T.G. and Fannin, J.M. (eds.) Routledge, pg. 167-184.
- Brown, J.P., Goetz, S.J., Ahearn, M.C., and Liang. C. 2014. "Linkages between Community-Focused Agriculture, Farm Sales, and Regional Growth." Economic Development Quarterly 28(1): 5-16.
- Pender, J.L., Weber, J.G., and Brown, J.P. 2014. "Sustainable Rural Development and Wealth Creation: Five Observations Based on Emerging Energy Opportunities." Economic Development Quarterly 28(1): 73-86.
- Brown, J.P., Lambert, D.M., and Florax, R.J.G.M. 2013. "The Birth, Death, and Persistence of Firms: Creative Destruction and the Spatial Distribution of U.S. Manufacturing Establishments, 2000-2006." Economic Geography 89(3): 203-226.
- Brown, J.P., Pender, J. Wiser, R., Lantz, E., and Hoen, B. 2012. "Ex Post Analysis of Economic Impacts from Wind Power Development in U.S. Counties." Energy Economics, 34(6): 1743-1754.
- Lambert, D.L., Brown, J.P., and Florax, R.J.G.M. 2010. "A two-step estimator for a spatial lag model of counts: Theory, small sample performance and an application." Regional Science and Urban Economics, 40(4): 241-252.
- Brown, J.P., Florax, R.J.G.M., and McNamara, K.T. 2009. "Determinants of Investment Flows in U.S. Manufacturing." The Review of Regional Studies, 39(3): 267-284.
- Lusk, J.L., Brown, J.P., Mark, T., Proseku, I., Thompson, R., and Welsh, J. 2006. "Consumer Behavior, Public Policy, and Country-of-Origin Labeling." Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 28(2): 284-292.
Under Review for Publication
- Response of Consumer Debt to Income Shocks: The Case of Energy Booms and Busts
RWP 17-05. Revision requested at Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking
Economic Review Articles
- Population Turnover and the Growth of Urban Areas
with Colton Tousey, First Quarter 2020
- The Widening Divide in Business Turnover between Large and Small Urban Areas
Third Quarter 2018
- Identifying State-Level Recessions
First Quarter 2017
- The Response of Employment to Changes in Oil and Gas Exploration and Drilling
Second Quarter 2015
- Production of Natural Gas From Shale in Local Economies: A Resource Blessing or Curse?
First Quarter 2014
Economic Bulletin (formerly "The Macro Bulletin")
- "COVID-19 Stuns U.S. and Tenth District Economies, but Both Show Signs of Stabilization"
with Alison Felix, June 2020
- "Drilling Productivity in the United States: What Lies Beneath"
with David Rodziewicz and Colton Tousey, May 2019
- Auto Loan Delinquency Rates Are Rising, but Mostly among Subprime Borrowers
with Colton Tousey, August 2018
- The Reallocation of Energy-Sector Workers after Oil Price Booms and Busts
with Andres Kodaka, March 2016
Research Working Papers
- Rising Market Concentration and the Decline of Food Price Shock Pass-Through to Core Inflation
with Colton Tousey, RWP 19-02
- Effects of State Taxation on Investment: Evidence from the Oil Industry
with Peter Maniloff and Dale T. Manning, RWP 18-07
- The Effect of the Conservation Reserve Program on Rural Economies: Deriving a Statistical Verdict from a Null Finding
with Dayton M. Lambert and Timothy R. Wojan, RWP 18-04, Supplementary files
- How Centralized is U.S. Metropolitan Employment?
with Maeve Maloney, Jordan Rappaport, and Aaron Smalter Hall, RWP 17-16
- Does Resource Ownership Matter? Oil and Gas Royalties and the Income Effect of Extraction
with Timothy Fitzgerald and Jeremy G. Weber, RWP 16-12
- Capturing Rents from Natural Resource Abundance: Private Royalties from U.S. Onshore Oil & Gas Production
with Timothy Fitzgerald and Jeremy G. Weber, RWP 15-04
- Location Decisions of Natural Gas Extraction Establishments: A Smooth Transition Count Model Approach
with Dayton M. Lambert, RWP 14-05
- Rural Wealth Creation and Emerging Energy Industries: Lease and Royalty Payments to Farm Households and Businesses
with Jeremy G. Weber and John Pender, RWP 13-07
The Main Street Economist
- U.S. Electricity Prices in the Wake of Growing Natural Gas Production
with Andres Kodaka, Issue 2, 2014
- The Cycles of Wind Power Development
Issue 3, 2013
- Brown, J.P., Weber, J.G., and Wojan, T. 2013. "Emerging Energy Industries and Rural Growth." ERR-159, USDA Economic Research Service, Washington DC. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err-economic-research-report/err159.aspx
- Brown, J.P. and Weber, J.G. 2013. "The Off-Farm Occupations of U.S. Farm Operators and Their Spouses." EIB-117, USDA Economic Research Service, Washington DC. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/eib-economic-information-bulletin/eib117.aspx