Jason Brown is a Vice President and Economist in the Economic Research Department of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. In this role, he coordinates the regional and commodities research of the Bank and serves as liaison to regional and commodities researchers located in branch offices and in Kansas City. He conducts research on issues related to regional economic growth, emerging industries, natural resource development, and structural change in regional industry and labor markets.
Prior to joining the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Jason was an economist at the USDA Economic Research Service in Washington, D.C. He holds a Ph.D. from Purdue University.
- PDFU.S. and Regional Economic Outlook (04/12/2018)
- PDFU.S. & Tenth Distrtict Economic Outlook (08/10/2017)
- PDFKansas and Missouri Economic Outlook (06/7/2017)
- PDFU.S. and Kansas City Economic Outlook (03/2/2017)
- PDFKansas and Tenth District Economic Outlook (05/24/2016)
Professional Journals and Books
- "Response of Consumer Debt to Income Shocks: The Case of Energy Booms and Busts" Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 2021, 53(7): 1629-1675..
- "Spatially variable taxation and resource extraction: The impact of state oil taxes on drilling in the US" with Peter Maniloff and Dale T. Manning, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2020, 103:102354.
- "Does Resource Ownership Matter? Oil and Gas Royalties and the Income Effect of Extraction" with Timothy Fitzgerald and Jeremy G. Weber, Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, 2019, 6(6): 853-878.
- "The Effect of the Conservation Reserve Program on Rural Economies: Deriving a Statistical Verdict from a Null Finding" with Dayton M. Lambert and Timothy Wojan, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2019, 101(2): 528-540.
- "Manufacturing Plant Survival in a Period of Decline" with Sarah A. Low, Growth and Change, 2017, 48(3): 297-312.
- "Capturing Rents from Natural Resource Abundance: Private Royalties from U.S. Onshore Oil & Gas Production" with Timothy Fitzgerald and Jeremy G. Weber, Resource and Energy Economics, 2016, 46: 23-38.
- "Extending a Smooth Parameter Model to Firm Location Analyses: The Case of Natural Gas Establishments in the United States" with Dayton M. Lambert, Journal of Regional Science, 2016, 56(5): 848-867.
- "Crop Prices, Agricultural Revenues, and the Local Economy of the U.S. Heartland" with Jeremy G. Weber, Conor Wall, and Tom Hertz, Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 2015, 37(3): 459-476.
- "Spatial Hedonic Analysis of the Effects of US Wind Energy Facilities on Surrounding Property Values" with Ben Hoen, Thomas Jackson, Mark A. Thayer, Ryan Wiser and Peter Cappers, Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 2015, 51(1): 22-51.
- "What to Do About the "Cult of Statistical Significance?” A Renewable Fuel Application using the Neyman-Pearson Protocol" with Timothy Wojan and Dayton Lambert, Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 2015, 36(4): 674-695.
- "Rural Wealth Creation and Emerging Energy Industries" with Jeremy G. Weber and John L. Pender, 2014, In: Rural Wealth Creation” Pender, J.L., Weber, B.A., Johnson, T.G. and Fannin, J.M. (eds.) Routledge, pg. 167-184.
- "Linkages between Community-Focused Agriculture, Farm Sales, and Regional Growth" with Stephan J. Goetz, Mary C. Ahearn and Chyi-lyi Liang, Economic Development Quarterly, 2014, 28(1): 5-16.
- "Sustainable Rural Development and Wealth Creation: Five Observations Based on Emerging Energy Opportunities" with John L. Pender and Jeremy G. Weber, Economic Development Quarterly, 2014, 28(1): 73-86.
- "The Birth, Death, and Persistence of Firms: Creative Destruction and the Spatial Distribution of U.S. Manufacturing Establishments, 2000-2006" with Dayton M. Lambert and Raymond J.G.M. Florax, Economic Geography, 2013, 89(3): 203-226.
- "Ex Post Analysis of Economic Impacts from Wind Power Development in U.S. Counties" with John L. Pender, Ryan Wiser, Eric Lantz and Ben Hoen, Energy Economics, 2012, 34(6): 1743-1754.
- "A two-step estimator for a spatial lag model of counts: Theory, small sample performance and an application" with Dayton M. Lambert and Raymond J.G.M. Florax, Regional Science and Urban Economics, 2010, 40(4): 241-252.
- "Determinants of Investment Flows in U.S. Manufacturing" with Raymond J.G.M. Florax and Kevin T. McNamara, The Review of Regional Studies, 2009, 39(3): 267-284.
- "Consumer Behavior, Public Policy, and Country-of-Origin Labeling" with Jayson L. Lusk, Tyler Mark, Idlir Proseku, Rachel Thompson and Jody Welsh, Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 2006, 28(2): 284-292.
Economic Review Articles
- Population Turnover and the Growth of Urban Areas
with Colton Tousey, First Quarter 2020
- The Widening Divide in Business Turnover between Large and Small Urban Areas
Third Quarter 2018
- Identifying State-Level Recessions
First Quarter 2017
- PDFThe Response of Employment to Changes in Oil and Gas Exploration and Drilling
Second Quarter 2015
- PDFProduction of Natural Gas From Shale in Local Economies: A Resource Blessing or Curse?
First Quarter 2014
- U.S. Business Applications Surge in the Face of COVID-19
- COVID-19 Stuns U.S. and Tenth District Economies, but Both Show Signs of Stabilization
with Alison Felix, June 2020
- Drilling Productivity in the United States: What Lies Beneath
with David Rodziewicz and Colton Tousey, May 2019
- Auto Loan Delinquency Rates Are Rising, but Mostly among Subprime Borrowers
with Colton Tousey, August 2018
- PDFThe Reallocation of Energy-Sector Workers after Oil Price Booms and Busts
with Andres Kodaka, March 2016
Research Working Papers
- Death of Coal and Breath of Life: The Effect of Power Plant Closure on Local Air Quality
with Colton Tousey, RWP 20-15
- Rising Market Concentration and the Decline of Food Price Shock Pass-Through to Core Inflation
with Colton Tousey, RWP 19-02
- Effects of State Taxation on Investment: Evidence from the Oil Industry
with Peter Maniloff and Dale T. Manning, RWP 18-07
- The Effect of the Conservation Reserve Program on Rural Economies: Deriving a Statistical Verdict from a Null Finding
with Dayton M. Lambert and Timothy R. Wojan, RWP 18-04, Supplementary files
- How Centralized is U.S. Metropolitan Employment?
with Maeve Maloney, Jordan Rappaport, and Aaron Smalter Hall, RWP 17-16
- Response of Consumer Debt to Income Shocks: The Case of Energy Booms and Busts
- Does Resource Ownership Matter? Oil and Gas Royalties and the Income Effect of Extraction
with Timothy Fitzgerald and Jeremy G. Weber, RWP 16-12
- PDFCapturing Rents from Natural Resource Abundance: Private Royalties from U.S. Onshore Oil & Gas Production
with Timothy Fitzgerald and Jeremy G. Weber, RWP 15-04
- PDFLocation Decisions of Natural Gas Extraction Establishments: A Smooth Transition Count Model Approach
with Dayton M. Lambert, RWP 14-05
- PDFRural Wealth Creation and Emerging Energy Industries: Lease and Royalty Payments to Farm Households and Businesses
with Jeremy G. Weber and John Pender, RWP 13-07
The Main Street Economist
- PDFU.S. Electricity Prices in the Wake of Growing Natural Gas Production
with Andres Kodaka, Issue 2, 2014
- PDFThe Cycles of Wind Power Development
Issue 3, 2013
- Brown, J.P., Weber, J.G., and Wojan, T. 2013. "Emerging Energy Industries and Rural Growth." ERR-159, USDA Economic Research Service, Washington DC. External Linkhttps://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/45155/41053_err159.pdf?v=3948.1
- Brown, J.P. and Weber, J.G. 2013. "The Off-Farm Occupations of U.S. Farm Operators and Their Spouses." EIB-117, USDA Economic Research Service, Washington DC. External Linkhttps://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/43789/40009_eib-117.pdf