Rajdeep Sengupta is a senior economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. He joined the Kansas City Fed in July 2013. His research areas are banking, financial intermediation and applied microeconomics. His most recent work focuses on lender competition and the subprime mortgage market. He received his Ph.D. from Vanderbilt University in 2006 and was an economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
Professional Journals and Books
- "Foreign Entry and Bank Competition" Journal of Financial Economics, May 2007, 84(2), pp. 502-28
- "Subprime Mortgage Design" with Geetesh Bhardwaj, Journal of Banking and Finance, May 2012, 36(5), pp. 1503-19
- "Lending to Uncreditworthy Borrowers" Journal of Financial Intermediation, January 2014, 23(1), pp. 101-128
- "Subprime Cohorts and Loan Performance" with Geetesh Bhardwaj, Journal of Banking and Finance, April 2014, 41(2), pp. 236-252
- "Credit Scoring and Loan Default" with Geetesh Bhardwaj, International Review of Finance, June 2015, 15(2), pp. 139-167
Economic Review Articles
- Do Net Interest Margins for Small and Large Banks Vary Differently with Interest Rates?
with Fei Xue, Vol. 107, no. 1
- Did Local Factors Contribute to the Decline in Bank Branches?
with Jacob Dice, Third Quarter 2019
- Do Adverse Oil Price Shocks Change Loan Contract Terms for Energy Firms?
with W. Blake Marsh and David Rodziewicz, Fourth Quarter 2017
- Has the Relationship between Bank Size and Profitability Changed?
with Kristen Regehr, Second Quarter 2016
- The Effect of Risk and Organizational Structures on Bank Capital Ratios
with Eric W. Hogue, Fourth Quarter 2014
Research Working Papers
- Bank Competition and Risk-Taking under Market Integration
with Kaniska Dam, RWP 20-21
- Competition and Bank Fragility
with W. Blake Marsh, RWP 17-06
- Sectoral Loan Concentration and Bank Performance (2001-2014)
with Kristen Regehr, RWP 16-13
- Raising Capital When the Going Gets Tough: U.S. Bank Equity Issuance from 2001 to 2014
with Lamont Black and Ioannis Floros, RWP 16-05
- PDFCredit Scoring and Loan Default
with Geetesh Bhardwaj, RWP 15-02
- Assessing Market Conditions ahead of Quantitative Tightening
with A. Lee Smith, July 2022
- Bank Profitability Rebounds despite Compressed Interest Margins
with Adam Byrdak, November 17, 2021
- The Global Pandemic and Run on Shadow Banks
with Fei Xue, May 11, 2020
- How Have Banks Responded to Declining Reserve Balances?
with W. Blake Marsh, August 21, 2019