Jim Wilkinson is an Assistant Vice President and Economist in the Surveillance and Risk Assessment Department of Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. The Department monitors banking conditions in the Tenth Federal Reserve District and the nation. It also has responsibilities for policy and financial market analysis and for capital analysis and stress testing activities.
Prior to returning to the Bank in 2008, Mr. Wilkinson provided consulting services to financial institutions in the areas of capital markets and asset/liability management. Previously, Mr. Wilkinson held positions as Economist, Senior Examiner and Examining Officer at the Federal Reserve Banks of Kansas City and Richmond. He started his career as an Assistant Professor of Economics at the University of Missouri at Columbia. Mr. Wilkinson received a B.A. in economics and political science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1979 and a Ph.D. in economics from Vanderbilt University in 1985. He graduated with distinction from the ABA’s Stonier Graduate School of Banking in 1993.
- "Quality Assurance Testing for Interest Rate Risk Models"
Financial Managers Society White Paper, March 2006
- Asset/Liability Management Basics for Community Financial Institutions
Chicago: Financial Managers Society, 2004
- "Managing Interest Rate Risk at a Savings Institution"
With Craig J. Cerny and Michael J. Giarla, Anthony Cornyn, Jess Lederman, and Robert A. Klein (eds.) Controlling and Managing Interest-Rate Risk. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: New York Institute of Finance, 1997
- Explaining Agricultural Bank Failures: a Neural Network Approach
Thesis: Stonier Graduate School of Banking, June 1993
- "Bank Holding Company Performance, 1991"
Financial Industry Trends, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Annual 1992
Economic Review Articles
- PDF"Can the Supply of Small Business Loans be Increased?"
with Jon Christensson, Second Quarter 2011
- PDF"Financial Stability Reports: How Useful During a Financial Crisis?"
with Kenneth Spong and Jon Christensson, First Quarter 2010
Research Working Papers
- PDF"What Can Financial Stability Reports Tell Us About Macroprudential Supervision?"
with Jon Christensson and Kenneth Spong, RWP 11-15