Resources for Economic Developers
Resources available for economic developers to learn more about grow your own and entrepreneurship-based economic development.
- Grow Your Own Guide
This guide is a free resource on economic development models that use entrepreneurship and small business development as the tool to create community economic growth.
- Grow Your Own Webinar
This webinar explores how entrepreneurship-based economic development strategies can help build healthy economies and a strong economic future.
- Grow Your Own: Programs and Practicing Communities
An index of programs and practicing communities of entrepreneurship and small business development.
- The Future of Economic Gardening
A look at the current state of economic gardening across the nation and where economic gardening is heading in the future.
- Entrepreneurs...Pathways to Prosperity
A focus on the economic shifts that are occuring in the nation and how entrepreneurial communities can prepare themselves for economic growth in this new economic environment.
- New Engines for a New Economy
An overview of the social, economic and environmental impact of senior entrepreneurship in the U.S. today.
- Creating the Entrepreneurship Infrastructure
Highlights of the underlying dynamics of entrepreneurship and strategies in supporting small businesses.
- Entrepreneurship-Based Development Capital Sources
The role of community banks in the development of entrepreneurs and local economies.
- The Future of Entreprenurship
The opportunities, community evidence and keys to the success of entrepreneurship.
- Workforce Development and the Entrepreneurship Ecosystem
A presentation on the value of empowering entrepreneurs through collaborative initiatives and strategies.
- Are High-Growth Entrepreneurs Building the Rural Economy?
Recognizing that innovation and entrepreneurs are a wellspring of opportunity, many rural policymakers are rethinking their strategies for spurring economic development.
- Entrepreneurship in Low- and Moderate-Income Communities
Introduction to the importance of entrepreneurship in low- and moderate-income communities.
- Funder's Guide to Funding Small Business Development
Offers philanthropist, funding agencies and small business development organizations information and guidance on how to support economic growth through supporting organizations that develop small businesses.
- Gauging a Region's Entrepreneurial Potential
Regions are facing rapidly evolving pressures from today’s global economy. Entrepreneurship is emerging as a particularly promising new engine for regional growth.
- If You Build It, They Will Come: Entrepreneurship and Community Development
Oklahoma City’s Bricktown neighborhood’s economic success is home-grown. Is the city’s model of fostering an entrepreneurial environment an example from which other communities could learn?
- Regional Asset Indicators: Entrepreneurship Breadth and Depth
New categories of assets, including workforce, lifestyle, finance, information, and innovation, will shape economic prospects in this globalizing environment.
- Rethinking Federal Policy for Regional Economic Development
This article examines how federal policy might shift to align with the new global economy.
- The Role of Small and Large Business in Economic Development
The role of economic developers on building businesses from the ground up and supporting the growth of existing enterprises.
- A Case for Supporting Self-Employment as a Jobs Creation Strategy
- Addressing the Financing Needs of Small Business
- Comments from Chairman Ben Bernanke
- Entrepreneurs and Job Growth: Probing the Boundaries of Time and Space
- Microbusiness Economic Impact
- Revitalizing Downtown through Entrepreneurship
- The Creative Economy Spurs Economic Development
An examination of the growth of self-employment and the accompanying benefits for the economy.
Summary of key themes from the Federal Reserve System's Small Business Meeting Series.
Remarks from the Chairman at the Conference on Small Business and Entrepreneurship during an Economic Recovery.
Discusses the subtle effects of entrepreneurship that can lead to significant effects on business creation across both space and time.
The importance of microbusinesses to the unemployment rate and health of the economy.
This podcast discusses how communities can create a thriving entrepreneur base through innovative approaches to support services and by reimaging partnerships among local organizations.
Collaboration among different sectors can be the linchpin in effective revitalization efforts, and projects involving the arts and culture seem to attract collaborative efforts.
- Common Cents: Beyond the Lemonade Stand
- Do I have What it Takes to be an Entrepreneur - and Is My Community Ready?
- Everyday Economics: Entrepreneurs
- One Hen: How One Small Loan Made a Big Difference
- The Great American Entrepreneur
- Uncle Jed's Barbershop
- What is an Entrepreneur?
Discussion of kids as entrepreneurs and steps to develop a business plan for a successful venture.
Identify what an entrepreneur is and how entrepreneurship encourages economic growth and development.
Introduction of the critical role entrepreneurs play in the economy when they bring together resources to produce goods and services and then assume the risk to take products to the marketplace.
Teach students the characteristics of entrepreneurs and apply these characteristics to themselves and people in their own communities.
Describe an American entrepreneur, finding out the good or service the entrepreneur has brought to the marketplace and the resources used in the production process.
Read the story about an African-American barber who, despite significant setbacks, saves enough money to buy his own barbershop
Introduce students to entrepreneurs as a resource and explore their function in the economy.