Jesse Leigh Maniff is a Payments System Research Specialist in the Payment Strategies Division at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. Jesse received an A.B. in public policy from Brown University and a JD from the University of Michigan Law School, where she served as a contributing editor of the Michigan Journal of Law Reform. Her research focuses on digital currencies and their underlying technologies, consumer protection and antitrust concerns in financial services, and empirical legal studies.
Economic Review Articles
- Banking on Distributed Ledger Technology: Can It Help Banks Address Financial Inclusion?
with W. Blake Marsh, Third Quarter 2017
- PDFData Breach Notification Laws
with Richard J. Sullivan, First Quarter 2016
Research Working Papers
- Driver of Choice? The Cost of Financial Products for Unbanked Consumers
with Fumiko Hayashi and Josh Hanson, RWP 15-15
- Safe-Haven Performance in the Age of Bitcoin
with Sabrina Minhas, David Rodziewicz, and Becca Ruiz, April 15, 2020
- Déjà Vu All Over Again: What the Return of Private Currencies Could Mean for Central Banks
with Susan Zubradt, Payments System Research Briefing, June 2021
- Inclusion by Design: Crafting a Central Bank Digital Currency to Reach All Americans
Payments System Research Briefing, December 2020
- Motives Matter: Examining Potential Tension in Central Bank Digital Currency Designs
Payments System Research Briefing, July 2020
- Still on Trial? The Court’s Use of Economic Analysis in the American Express Case
with Ying Lei Toh, Payments System Research Briefing, April 2020
- How Did We Get Here? From Observing Private Currencies to Exploring Central Bank Digital Currency
Payments System Research Briefing, February 2020
- PDFCompetition and Coordination: The Card Network Balancing Act
Payments System Research Briefing, March 2017
- Change is Coming: What the EMV Migration May Mean for Payments Innovation
with Terri Bradford, Payments System Research Briefing, April 2015
- PDFInterchange Fees and Network Rules: A Shift from Antitrust Litigation to Regulatory Measures in Various Countries
with Fumiko Hayashi, Payments System Research Briefing, October 2014
- Wong, Paul, and Jesse Leigh Maniff (2020). "Comparing Means of Payment: What Role for a Central Bank Digital Currency?," FEDS Notes. Washington: Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, August 13, 2020, External Linkhttps://doi.org/10.17016/2380-7172.2739.
- "At the New York Fed: Research Conference on FinTech"
with Alan Basmajian, Brad Groarke, Vanessa Kargenian, Kimberley Liao, Erika Ota-Liedtke, and Asani Sarkar, Liberty Street Economics, July 2019