This session examines the outlook for farm labor in the years ahead and how agricultural workforce developments might affect future challenges and opportunities related to agricultural production.
- Diane Thronson | Assistant Professor, Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics, Montana State University (Speaker)
- A.G. Kawamura | Founding Co-Chair, Solutions From the Land (Panelist)
- Jeff Lakner | CEO, Lakner Farms, LLC (Panelist)
- Shari Rogge-Fidler | President and Chief Executive Officer, Farm Foundation (Panelist)
- Cortney Cowley | Senior Economist, Regional Research (Moderator)
- Related Ag Symposium Snapshot: The new world of on-the-farm labor
Labor in the Ag Supply Chain
This session discusses the outlook for labor among businesses connected to agricultural production and the significance of labor in maintaining efficient supply chains.
- Tim Richards | Morrison Chair of Agribusiness, W.P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University (Speaker)
- Tonn Ostergard | CEO and Chairman, Crete Carrier Corporation (Panelist)
- Julie Anna Potts | President and CEO, North American Meat Institute (Panelist)
- Brent Emch | Project Manager, Cargill Incorporated (Panelist)
- Francisco Scott | Economist, Economic Research (Moderator)
- Related Ag Symposium Snapshot: External LinkAg supply chains feel the pressure from labor shortage
Esther L. George | President and Chief Executive Officer
The Role of Policy
In this session, speakers discussed how policies related to labor are affecting the hiring and investment decisions of farm businesses and those in the ag supply chain.
- Daniel Costa | Director of Immigration Law and Policy Research, Economic Policy Institute (Speaker)
- Chuck Conner | President and Chief Executive Officer, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives (Panelist)
- Kristi Boswell | Agriculture Policy Counsel, Alston & Bird LLP (Panelist)
- Alison Krebs | Director, Dairy and Trade Policy, Leprino Foods Company (Panelist)
- External LinkTy Kreitman | Assistant Economist, Regional Affairs (Moderator)
Labor and Structural Change
In this session, speakers explore how developments associated with labor and employment in agriculture might affect the structure of the agricultural sector and related businesses in the years ahead.
- Veronica Nigh | Senior Economist, American Farm Bureau Federation (Speaker)
- Jim Heneghan | Senior Vice President, Gro Intelligence (Panelist)
- Kurt Coffey | Vice President of North America, Case IH (Panelist)
- Deacue Fields | Dean and Senior Associate Vice President for Agriculture-Academic Programs, Bumpers College, University of Arkansas (Panelist)
- Todd Kuethe | Part-time Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, and Associate Professor, Purdue University (Moderator)
External LinkNate Kauffman | Vice President, Economist and Omaha Branch Executive, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City