Andrew Foerster is an Assistant Vice President and Economist in the Economic Research Department of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. Prior to joining the department in 2011, Mr. Foerster received a Ph.D. and M.A. in economics from Duke University, and he also holds a M.S. in Mathematical Sciences from Virginia Commonwealth University, and a B.A. in economics from Davidson College. He also worked as an Assistant Economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond from 2004-2006. Mr. Foerster's main areas of research are in macroeconomics, econometrics and computational economics.
Economic Review Articles
- PDF"The Changing Input-Output Network Structure of the U.S. Economy"
with Jason Choi, Second Quarter 2017 | PDFAppendix
- PDF"Consumption Growth Regimes and the Post-Financial Crisis Recovery"
with Jason Choi, Second Quarter 2016
- "The Asymmetric Effects of Uncertainty"
Third Quarter 2014
- "Expectations of Large-Scale Asset Purchases"
with Guangye Cao, Second Quarter 2013
The Macro Bulletin
- PDF"Characterizing the 2014-16 Slowdown in Investment"
- PDF"The Asymmetric Effects of Uncertainty on Employment"
Professional Journals and Books
- "Perturbation Methods for Markov-Switching DSGE Models" with Juan Rubio-Ramirez, Dan Waggoner, and Tao Zha, Quantitative Economics 7(2), July 2016, 637-669
- "Monetary Policy Regime Switches and Macroeconomic Dynamics" International Economic Review 57(1), February 2016, 211-230
- "Financial Crises, Unconventional Monetary Policy Exit Strategies, and Agents' Expectations" Journal of Monetary Economics 76, November 2015, 191–207
- "Bayesian Mixed Frequency VAR’s" with Bjorn Eraker, Jeremy Chiu, Tae Bong Kim, and Hernan D. Seoane, Journal of Financial Econometrics 13(3), Summer 2015, 698-721
- "Sectoral versus Aggregate Shocks: A Structural Factor Analysis of Industrial Production" with Pierre-Daniel Sarte and Mark Watson, Journal of Political Economy 119(1), February 2011, 1-38
Research Working Papers
- PDFCommunicating Monetary Policy Rules
with Troy Davig, RWP 17-04
- PDFOptimal Monetary Policy Regime Switches
with Jason Choi, RWP 16-07
- PDF"Search with Wage Posting under Sticky Prices"
with José Mustre-del-Río, RWP 14-17
- PDF"Uncertainty and Fiscal Cliffs"
with Troy Davig, RWP 14-04
- PDF"Monetary Policy Regime Switches and Macroeconomic Dynamics"
- PDF"Perturbation Methods for Markov-Switching DSGE Models"
with Juan Rubio-Ramirez, Dan Waggoner and Tao Zha, RWP 13-01
- PDF"Estimating VAR's Sampled at Mixed or Irregular Spaced Frequencies: A Bayesian Approach"
with Ching Wai (Jeremy) Chiu, Bjørn Eraker, Tae Bong Kim and Hernán D. Seoane, RWP 11-11
- PDF"Financial Crises, Unconventional Monetary Policy Exit Strategies, and Agents' Expectations"