Investing in America’s Workforce: Investing in Workers
Explore new strategies to reframe workforce development efforts as investments that provide returns to workers, businesses, and their communities as a whole.
About this event
Workers and employers are both facing a growing skills gap in the labor market. Employers are struggling to find workers with the new and expanding skill sets required in a changing economy. Workers often have difficulty assessing what skills are in demand, the potential returns of training programs, and how to demonstrate the skills they have to an employer. This webinar will explore new perspectives and innovative strategies for closing the skills gap to the benefit of both workers and employers.
In this webinar, three authors will discuss highlights from their contributions to Volume 1 of Investing in America’s Workforce: Improving Outcomes for Workers and Employers. The goal of this publication is to reframe workforce development efforts as investments that provide returns to workers, businesses, and their communities as a whole.
The agenda for this webinar includes:
• Katherine McClelland, Committee on Education and Labor of the U.S. House of Representatives, will draw on her chapter “Engaging Manufacturers to Promote Skills Development” to explore new strategies for addressing the skills gap.
• Wilson Finch, Council for Adult and Experiential Learning, will discuss promising practices to engage adult workers in skills development based on his chapter “Adult Learners.”
• Emily Engel, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, will discuss strategies for reaching hard to serve populations highlighted in her chapter “Reintegrating Formerly Incarcerated Workers.”
• Carl Van Horn, Heldrich Center for Workforce Development, will moderate.
Download a copy of the book today, explore additional related resources and join the conversation on Twitter at #InvestInWork.
Mark your calendars for upcoming webinars in this series:
• June 20, 2019: Investing In America’s Workforce: Investing in Work
• July 25, 2019: Investing In America’s Workforce: Investing in Systems for Employment Opportunity
Participation in this series is free, but separate registration is required for each webinar.
Investing in America’s Workforce: Improving Outcomes for Workers and Employers is a publication of the Federal Reserve System, the John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development, the Ray Marshall Center for the Study of Human Resources and the W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
Who should attend?Leaders and staff of workforce investment boards, community and economic development organizations, community colleges, workforce readiness programs, chambers of commerce, and employers.
|May 30, 2019||2 - 3 p.m.||
All webinars in the series are free. Registration is required.
Registration Deadline: May 23, 2019 Register Now