Since joining the community development team at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Chantell Garrett has planned and developed outreach for key stakeholder groups. She has also been active in various community programs at the Bank. Before joining the Kansas City Fed, she worked in local government and founded a nonprofit that helps provide positive roles models for young women, allowing her to help the community in ways she would never have imagined. 

In her role at the Kansas City Fed, she leads outreach efforts for business, community and labor leaders, and women, minority and emerging bank leaders.

“Engagement with our strategic stakeholder groups is very exciting because I respect the work they do and it allows me to create sustainable programming for the Kansas City Fed that meets their professional and industry needs.” Chantell said. 

Chantell joined the Bank’s community development team in mid-2016. She has made significant contributions in her time as a senior stakeholder engagement advisor. 

In 2016, she helped organize the Kansas City Fed’s first minority bankers forum. It featured insights from a number of national leaders, including Kansas City Fed President Esther George and Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen. The forum offered sessions on the economy, the U.S. payments system and career and leadership strategies.

“The forum has resulted in more requests for banking-related resources; it identified advisory council candidates, supported the formation of peer-to-peer networks and expanded to other Federal Reserve Districts,” she said. 

The Bank plans to continue to develop forums for emerging, minority and women bank leaders. The goal is to build relationships with these audiences, enhance their overall understanding of the Federal Reserve System and continue to develop resources to help the industry retain and advance a diverse workforce. 

“Programs such as these allow us to build strong connections with regional and national bankers and provide industry and professional knowledge that will assist in the development of underrepresented bankers as they prepare for next-level leadership opportunities,” she said.

Prior to joining the Bank, Chantell directed the Mayor’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement for Kansas City, Mo. She has worked in community development for more than seven years and has a longtime personal involvement in community efforts.

“I have started, worked for and served many nonprofits in a number of capacities,” she said. “I consider myself to be a servant leader, looking to assist with community impact wherever my passion and skills intersect.” 

She founded the nonprofit R.U.B.I.E.S. Inc. (Realizing yoUr Best In Every Situation) to support girls who aspire to be first-generation college graduates. 

“I have had mentors in church, school, work and community and I truly understand and reap the benefits of these relationships,” Chantell said. “Therefore I had to find a way to give back what had been given to me to a younger generation of women."

She is a member of the University of Missouri-Kansas City’s African American Leadership Alliance, is involved in the Big Brothers Big Sisters’ Diversity Task Force, Avila University’s Alumni Board and recently was appointed to Teach For America of Greater Kansas City’s Champion Board.